How Storage & its Performance plays an important role in the success of any business?
Enterprise Storage is a centralized business information repository that provides common functions for data management, security, and data sharing via connections to computer systems. Since businesses are dealing with heavy workloads of business-critical information, enterprise storage systems should be scalable to hundreds of terabytes or even petabytes of workloads without relying on unnecessary cabling or subsystem construction. Other important aspects of an enterprise storage system include unlimited connectivity and multiplatform support.
I will be focussing on SANs in this post. I’m going to discuss how they work, the value of SAN performance monitoring, and my picks for SAN storage management tools.
SAN vs. NAS
Most businesses use networked storage solutions, which come in two ways:
- Storage area network (SAN)
- Network-attached storage (NAS)
(Network Attached Storage)
(Storage Area Network)
|File Level Data||Block Level Data|
|Primary Media: ethernet||Primary Media: Fiber Channel|
|I/O Protocol: NFS/CIFS||I/O Protocol: SCSI|
|NAS appears to OS as a shared
|SAN appears to OS as attached
|Dependent on the LAN||Independent of the LAN|
|Requires no architectural changes||Requires architectural changes|
Benefits of Enterprise Storage
- Organizations can buy and deploy enterprise storage systems at the premises, or they can choose to store their data with an external cloud computing service.
- The benefit of business storage on-premises is that the company maintains complete control of the hardware and data, resolving some security and compliance concerns.
- Cloud-based enterprise storage, on the other hand, simplifies data management, and can in some cases minimize costs. Some businesses follow a hybrid approach and use both on-premise and cloud-based storage combinations.
- One of the key advantages of enterprise storage solutions is that they allow employees to share files and collaborate. Many provide protection features that aren’t widely seen in consumer storage solutions, such as user-based permissions.
- In fact, enterprise storage provides better performance, reliability, flexibility, and scalability than other storage solutions.
Why use the best software tools to track the SAN performance?
Managing and monitoring SAN performance is very important in an enterprise as without carefully tracked SAN metrics, there is a loss of efficiency and performance.
The best SAN performance software tools help to manage the storage network performance at the best along with inventory status like servers, SAN, Network and also track key metrics like latency, over-subscription, and RAID allocation to ensure SAN is functioning properly enabling to Optimized operations and error-free environment which is key to business agility and success.
Using the best SAN performance monitoring tools, you can
- Achieve maximum uptime of application or data
- Fastest error tracking & less resolution time
- High productivity & Scalability
- Best planning & utilization of server, storage & network resources
- Quickly identify congestion risks
- Monitor multi environments & quick alerts.
- Generate reports
5 Best tools for Storage Monitoring & SAN performance in 2020
1. Brocade San Health
Make your SAN a business enables
✓ Avoid application downtime
✓ Reduce troubleshooting and resolution time
✓ Improve capacity planning and productivity
✓ Gain a competitive edge
Easy to run
✓ 1 minute to install
✓ 3 minutes to audit
✓ 0 impact on network performance
Automate it to run in the background during your backup, or at any other scheduled time.
Share insights with others
✓ Easy-to-read overview for new team members
✓ Professional insight for the CIO
✓ Greater SAN visibility for the entire storage team
Quickly identify congestion risks
✓ Oversubscribed ports
✓ Zoning issues
✓ Configuration anomalies
✓ Unusually high port errors
Audit multi-vendor environments
✓ Audit fabrics that include any storage and network vendor hardware—even Cisco devices running SAN-OS 2.0 and above.
Generate topological reports
✓ Eliminate whiteboard SAN management
✓ See down to the device and port level
✓ Get clear reports in Excel and Visio formats
2. Solarwinds Multi-Vendor Storage Performance & Capacity Monitor
Solarwinds’ software has a stylish and robust interface that provides a wide variety of vendors with real-time storage monitoring. It manages a complete array of storage devices, both virtual and physical. It also features a range of customizable pre-configured warnings and monitoring options.
Users gain valuable insights into the usage of storage with its storage utilization efficiency to prevent failures and to predict problems with capacity. It has also expanded the visibility of the application stack environment across virtualization and device layers.
This tool makes switching between various vendors and tracking multiple arrays with a single Dashboard simple for users. This also sends users alerts to note performance problems and to catch them early. It comes with a 30-day free trial and for the cost of each software component, you would need to contact the support.
key features are:
- Easy and fast install
- Storage performance and health
- 1200+ application performance monitoring templates
- Centralized asset management
- Built on the Solarwinds Orion Platform
- Automated discovery of applications and infrastructure
3. ManageEngine OpManager
OpManager’s ManageEngine offers a reliable and comprehensive network monitoring system that monitors network performance, detects real-time network faults, troubleshoots errors, and avoids downtime. It is a powerful tool that supports and scales multi-vendor IT environments to fit user requirements.
It enables users to gain full visibility and control over the entire network infrastructure through live dashboards and graphs that track critical metrics such as loss of packets, errors, and discards, etc. Through threshold-based warnings, this tool detects, recognizes, and troubleshoots network issues.
For each performance metric, users can set multiple thresholds, and receive notifications. With its reactive network monitoring techniques such as alarm generation, reading, or forwarding of Syslog and trap messages, it offers a fast fix, and much more.
This tool can be set up in less than two minutes and has over 100 built-in reports that can be personalized, planned, and exported.
key features are:
- IT Workflow automation
- Network Configuration Management
- Server and Virtualization Monitoring
- Automated Layer 2 Topology maps
- Network traffic analysis
Nagios offers high-quality monitoring of SAN setups and infrastructure, looking at your disk and directory power, RAID status, etc. Helping you control and track your SAN setup comes in two versions: Nagios XI and Nagios Core. These general-purpose monitoring tools, as opposed to standalone SAN storage monitoring tools, provide SAN output applications. Nagios Core is the free bid, while Nagios XI is the standard performance management tool for enterprises.
Nagios XI provides monitoring of the network and infrastructure for applications, utilities, and other device metrics, as well as automated storage space capacity planning. It helps you to track performance as a SAN monitor, so you can address any storage issues before they impact your end-users.
- Advanced planning for system upgrades
- Detection of failed batch jobs
- Fast detection of storage subsystem problems
- Reduced risk of unexpected downtime
AppDynamics has a very good multi-feature solution that covers the entire spectrum of monitoring and management depending on the network. From apps, transactions, services, nodes, servers, calls to databases, remote services, and much more.
It offers real-time insight into inbound and outbound latency, protocol operations, and performance indicators for all network-wide storage servers, making it easy to get to the root cause quickly, and efficiently solving performance issues. It evaluated the storage efficiency patterns and alerts them over time.
- AppDynamics APM automatically discovers, maps and visualizes critical services and components
- Integrates directly with ServiceNow, PagerDuty, and Jira that allows for immediately alerting
- Deep diagnostic capabilities that identify the root cause of issues real-time correlation of data
We have tried our best to be informative on SAN performance and storage monitoring. We would love to hear from you if you are interested to share latest & trending technology on storage platform and permit to publish on navigatestorage.com as per the terms and conditions.